Friday, August 31, 2007

View via the pinhole that is my blog

They had a father's day breakfast at the school and any kid who wanted to, could read poems they composed for their dad. So when her turn came, I was thinking, This is going to be cringeworthy, cos the first four girls were quite so. You know, Dad protects me, sheltered me from harm, kept me warm, lovey lovey, kissy kissy etc etc... But it was actually really cool. She wrote about what I wasnt. Not a superhero, not a cook, not a cleaner, and some others which I cannot remember. What I was was that I was her Dad! I felt, relieved, cos it was non-cringey. Good kid.
So what did I do for Fathers day? I cleaned after her, I cooked her bacon and eggs for breakfast, pancakes for dinner and we went bike riding. I dont know where she gets her inspiration for her poems from. *sighs*

I went for one of the many talks they held for the Melbourne Writers Festival. The guy from Boing Boing was one of the people speaking. He is such a well prepared and polished speaker and made the others look quite dull and unfocussed. Very entertaining speaker.
One of the ladies speaking made the unfortunate decision to wear a skirt for the session. Because of the elevated stage, it was like that Sharon Stone interrogation scene from Basic Instinct. It was so distracting. I know, I know. I couldnt bear to watch but cannot look away. What was the talk about, you ask? I dont remember.



Anyway, Susanna had this 80s music lyrics quiz on her facebook which I got a paltry 4/10 and of that, some of them were lucky guesses. Heh. Well, who pays attention to the lyrics anyway but to be honest, I wasnt really listening to that type of music.
So I was dredging my memories back to the 80s as to what I was listening to then. Dont judge me but prominent in my memory was a lot of Windham Hill. Yeah, no lyrics, see. Some Yo Yo Ma, lots of Stevie Wonder (Hotter Than July), some Vangelis, The Police, Pink Floyd's The Wall, Quincy Jones (The Dude), XTC's Skylarking and Michael Jackson. I said, Dont judge me. But most prominent amongst them was Kate Bush. I still think The Dreaming is the most complex and multi-layered album that I've ever come across.
Oh yeah, and this very talented French composer Jean Michel Jarre and the English group Scritti Politti. I liked them both a lot. Ahhh.... the 80s. What?
Now? I've been listening to this Lily Allen song a lot. On repeat. Yes, I admit, not much of a leap there.
And no, I never listened to any Yanni.

OK, I admit it. I considered doing a "Chai has left the building" kind of post. Maybe next month. Till then.

28 comments:

Nai said...

I cooked my Dad breakfast on Father's Day. This was made a *truly* loving act because I had completely forgotten about it being Hallmark Day #7 when I started to fry up the bacon. Well that's the story I'm sticking to anyway.

Steph said...

Are you thinking of leaving Blogsville just cos you have shite taste in music?
For shame!

Your daughter sounds very cool.

Chai said...

nai : ah yes, the attentive daughter. Now if only I would as lucky :-)

steph : Ouchy. Was the wiggles around in the 80s for you? Respect your elders! :-)

ChickyBabe said...

I worry about you... the head of Yanni on those breasts and Sharon Stone scene! :P

Chai said...

cb : thank you for your concern. It is not misplaced :-)

Lad Litter said...

Like Chickybabe, I thought the CD cover juxtaposition was hilarious. Sharon Stone yes, Britney & Lindsay no.

Pink said...

Dads rock.

No chai has left the building post allowed.

:)
xx
pinks

Cristina Rodguez said...

Hello Chai! A dull post a month is far better than a dull post every day... ;-)

meva said...

Chai had better not leave the building! I will be very cross.

Chai said...

ll : I agree, sort of regd the flashing. Somehow, BS and LL doesnt seem to have any eroticism associated with what they did. For me anyway.

pink : Hee hee. Thanks. I'm pretty sure she loves me heaps but for her to let on would lose her position of power, I think. And you are too nice.

mm : You think? I think the reverse is true. Besides, what you write is not dull anyway.

meva : you are so sweet.

Jay said...

Father's day in August? Oh you crazy kids!

emilie zoey baker said...

Hey DJ yanni, I am tagging you for the Super 8 meme. Get me!me med em me’d

www.atomicladybomb.blogspot.com/

(I have finally worked out what the hell this means)

susanna said...

oi chai! don't implicate me in your 'chai is leaving the building' antics! i love kate bush and XTC too (in addition to depeche mode and spandau ballet and all the other stuff on the infamous quiz). and i think your music tastes are impeccable. there - i judge!!!

Ann ODyne said...

dear Jay in Tronno, CAN - our day for the dads is the first Sunday in Sept.
peas and love to all

Rosanna said...

Don't leave, Mr Chai. I would miss your monthly tours...

Chai said...

Apologies for the tardiness in responding.

jay : as ann mentioned, it is the first sunday in Sept, but the school had the breakfast the Friday before. A school day.

ejb : A meme!?!? *sighs* And I cant make it on Sunday, so see you this Thursday instead! I think.

suss : Thank you. And no, not implicating you in anything :-)

ann : Father's day is great! :-)

rosanna : You are such a sweetie.

danzer1986 said...

that poster rocks!!!
hilarious

Jay said...

Hey, what gives? You're late.

meva said...

I'm missing Chai.

*sniff*

Chai said...

Good lord. You people are pathetic! :-)

OK... confession. I've discovered a 'social' life.

But just for you guys, I'll do one, lets see, tonight there is Angus and Joss Stone, Weds, canoodling, Thurs, Divino, Fri, kid... hmmm, will have to be this weekend.

Ann ODyne said...

just blowin' through like a plastic carry-bag .....

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.

Justine said...

social life my arse Chai. you discovered facebook. didn't you??!! admit it!!!!
i do miss you and Rosanna, but I can't stand the sight of my site.
Meh, whaddaya gonna do about it.

Chai said...

Time flies.

Are u back in Oz, J?

Email me.

Justine said...

no, but will be later this year... with a new little friend in tow!
your email used to be on here somewhere didn't it?

Chai said...

try "blogger at pyuser dot com"?

And we'll go from there, yes?

I'll be expecting pics of ALL your little friends!

How exciting.

Ed said...

Well it does appear Chai has left the building in terms of when your last blog post was!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I miss the blogging days.